Saturday 4 May 2013

We are Silent

On Thursday April 18, 2013 I was silent.Through a campaign by Free The Children, founded by Craig Keilburger when he was 13. The purpose of staying silent, not talking for an entire 24 hours was because children all over the world are denied of having their basic needs and their voice to stand up for themselves. When I woke up in the morning I literally had sticky notes everywhere that said," SILENT,"  just in case I forgot. I could not mumble, shout, whisper, or speak. I did this throughout the course of the day, it was hard.  Going to each class and everyone was talking it was so hard I nearly gave up. When I finally started talking I was  surprised because kids at my age and below don't have to right to talk and this could go for 1 month, 1 year, and maybe 10 years and many times their entire life. We use our voices everyday like talking to our friends and family. Our voice is the key to our freedom. Whenever you doubt this, try to stay silent and you will see how much weaker you feel. Our silence is their voice, We are lending our voice to help them speak up. We stand up for bullying, abuse, self-harm, and many other things, why not this? It is the same problem, they live in fear and cannot stand up for themselves. So on Thurday April 18, 2013 I was silent. For more information go to... 
http://www.freethechildren.com/get-involved/campaigns/we-are-silent/

No comments:

Post a Comment